Venetian blinds can get dirty surprisingly quickly, mostly from collecting dust and from being in constant use – with people touching them when opening/closing them. When you start to notice your blinds getting a little grubby, then it’s good practice to give them a quick clean to take care of them. Having sparkling clean venetian blinds can be achieved in 5 easy steps:
- Take them down. It’s much easier to clean venetian blinds if you remove them from the window so you can get to the harder to reach places. Be careful when you do go about taking your blinds down, taking care to not damage them in any way. In some cases, this can be easier with the help of another person!
- Lay the blind down flat on a clean surface. Sometimes this can be easier on the garden patio or pavement. It also avoids any damage to the surface underneath. If this isn’t practical for you or you don’t have a garden/patio area, then lay down a sheet of plastic onto your carpet/flooring just to give some extra protection.
- Spray the blinds with your preferred window cleaner spray, this not only thoroughly cleans them but also gives a brilliant shine when finished. Once you’ve coated the blinds in a thin layer of cleaner, take a small broom and gently scrub the blinds to remove any dirt or stains.
- If you are cleaning your blinds outside, then just take a garden hose and gently rinse off the grime with fresh water. However, if you’re inside, then take a cloth or paper towel and rub away the excess dirt.
- Once you’re satisfied with the cleanliness of the blinds, you can hang them out to dry outside. If you’ve completed the steps indoors then you’re ready to go ahead and hang them back up on the window!
So, there you have it. 5 simple steps you can take to leave your venetian blinds looking wonderfully clean. There’s no set amount of time you should leave it before you clean your blinds, and in between cleans a feather duster works perfectly well to quickly get rid of accumulated dust. It goes without saying that not all blinds should be cleaned with this method, so be sure to check the best way to clean your blinds!